Northampton

 

Mooniemia is the aboriginal name for the town.

The area was known as the Mines District back in 1848 where lead and later copper were mined, the town officially became Northampton in 1864 after Governor Hampton visited the North Ward of the Victoria District (which is now known as Geraldton).

The National Trust of Australia classified Northampton as a Historical Town in 1993 together with Albany and York.

The Shire of Northampton covers the coastal areas of Horrocks Beach, Port Gregory and Kalbarri.

Places of interest in the area are:

  • Chiverton House Museum
  • Mary Street Railway Station
  • Gwalla Church ruins and Cemetery
  • Motors and Machinery Group
  • Northampton Family Store with Old Sewing Machine Museum
  • RSL Museum
  • Botanic Line Wildflowers
  • The Eco Hut (a good picnic spot)
  • Hampton Gardens
  • Kings Park
  • Centenary Park
  • Lions Park

Toilet facilities are found in most of these and we have long vehicle parking and chemical toilet dump available also.